Friday, March 25, 2011

Artist Spotlight: Bite Me Brownies

Cooks can be artists too.  So, this week we are shining the spotlight on a wife and mother who bakes some fierce brownies.  Like many of our other "Artists in the Spotlight", Emily Mericle turned a personal passion into a small business.  She is just beginning her adventure.  But, the lessons she's already learning may be useful to many of you, who are considering a crafty career.  Meet Emily Mericle, owner of Bite Me Brownies, our Artist in the Spotlight...


1-Why brownies? How did this evolve from a hobby to a business?

Why do I love to bake?  The answer is simple... Waffles! I still remember standing on a chair watching my Uncle Don make waffles from scratch.  These where the best waffles I have ever eaten. Before then, I only thought waffles where made from a mix. From that moment on, my mixing bowl and I were a force to be reckoned with!

Why brownies? Because I love them! I have always loved brownies and I figured why not do what I love!  While I was on maternity leave after the birth of our first son, Mason Patrick, at the end of 2009, the idea for Bite Me Brownies was born! Apparently those sleepless nights paid off!  In October 2010, we opened our commercial kitchen, and by February 2011, I resigned from my nursing job to focus and Bite Me Brownies full time.


2-Naming your business is like naming a baby. How did you decide on that name?

I was trying to think of something really catchy.  I thought if I were walking down an aisle at the grocery store, what would make me stop and look at something?  Then it hit me, what if something yelled out Bite Me!  That would get my attention, like “pick me”!  At first I told my husband, Brian, about it sort of jokingly, but then we really liked it!





3-You obviously don't have to give it to us...but what makes your brownies special...do you have a secret recipe?  


What is special about our brownies? We have 9 unique flavors that are all preservative free. All our brownies are hand mixed, I find the texture is so much better. We make every attempt to use the freshest, highest quality, local ingredients. We only use butter, no oil! It would be really cool if I would say I had some secret recipe passed down generations, but I don’t.  I have had a brownie recipe that I have worked on for several years, “tweaking” over time.

4-This blog has lots of creative readers, who would love to launch a similar small business for their crafty passions. What challenges have you encountered along the way with this venture that you didn't expect?

The food businesses has more challenges than I expected. There are lots of rules, regulations, permits and licenses, and FDA guidelines etc. The internet is a great resource.  But, many times a short trip to the health department or other venues gets information a lot quicker!  I'm very lucky to have an amazing and supportive husband, but quickly had to learn it's ok to ask for help!  As for our project, I found packaging the most challenging. There isn’t a packaging store to just go to and look around, so this required a lot of sample ordering and PATIENCE! Sometime something would look great, but was too small or expensive. In the end, I'm happy we spent the time getting our packaging right.  It is one of the first things our consumers see.



5-What is your vision for Bite Me Brownies?

I want to have a Brownie Empire! Ha ha, just kidding, kind of :) Seriously I would love to see our business grow and expand to some other states, maybe an east coast location! I am also really passionate about giving back and helping however we can. For now we call this our “Bite Back” Campaign. It would be awesome if we could have our own Charity or at least help as many charities as we can!




6-How can people order your treats and what's available to them to choose from?

One can order online, by phone, or if they live in AZ...come see us at the downtown Phoenix Public Market every Saturday. We now have shipping available online to anywhere in the US!

We currently have 9 flavors to choose from: • Sweet and Sassy Salted Caramel • You Want a Piece of Me Peanut Butter Banana • There Can Vino Other- Red Wine • Slap My Apple- Apple Pie Blondie • One Crazy Blondie- White Chocolate, Macadamia Nut and Coconut • Get in My Belly Cherry Almond Vanilla • Not Your Mom’s Pecan Pie • Anything But Plain Chocolate • Gluten for Punishment- Gluten Free Triple Chocolate.

Thanks to Emily for sharing her story.  The great news is...she is also prepared to let you sample her product.  


In order to win, you must leave a comment here.  If you are a follower of this blog, let us know...it will double your chances.  Post a link to this on your facebook page and you get another chance.  


You'll have until Noon EST next Wednesday 3/30/2011 to become eligible.  We'll announce the winner on Thursday.  


It is worth it...we're talking about a brownie sampler here.  Let your friends know....Crafty Life and Style has another GIVEAWAY.

9 comments:

  1. Amazing brownies by an awesome woman! I wanted to cry when I ate my last One Crazy Blondie brownie. Great blog & I will be Tweeting this & sharing it on FB. GL & Thanks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. You sure do have lots of catchy names for the brownies.Would be nice to know the nutritional breakdown of the brownies. To many of us, that is our first concern. Do you have a low cal,no fat brownie? You're Doing A Great Job! We'll check out your site and hopefully be following soon.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Great blog, I will share on FB :) Would love to try the brownies, I've had my eye on them for a while now :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Omg these look divine!! YUM!! I'd love to win.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I follow the blog, these look so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whoever in their right mind wouldn't comment to win BROWNIES! Congratulations on your business, here's to hoping all our small businesses grow bigger!
    Deanna
    www.clipclocks.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Right Deanna??! LOL. That's what I said. I tried her sampler. It is so exciting to get it in the mail and then have all of these flavors to choose from. Extra time at the gym...but enjoyable while it lasted.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I follow this blog and now I'm very hungry!! So much for telling myself I won't have a nighttime snack. These brownies look delish - and I love the names of them.

    ReplyDelete
  9. They sound amazing!

    I'm a follower

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.