Tuesday, March 22, 2011

Tasty Tuesday: Natalie's Curried Shrimp

 
Big shout out to my friends Dimy and his wife Natalie, she is Jamaican and her food is out of this world!!!!!You  can make this as hot as you can stand it or make it with little spice for the kids. If it is for the kids DO NOT add the Scotch Bonnet Peppers (they are the hottest pepper in the world)

2 lbs fresh shrimp (the bigger the better and make sure they are fresh, not frozen or pre-cooked)
2 tablespoons of olive oil
2 onions, chopped
1/4 of a scotch bonnet pepper finely chopped up (be sure to wear gloves and wash hands really good after handling these peppers, if you touch your eyes or nose you will know what mace for law enforcement feels like) 2 cloves garlic, chopped
2 tablespoons curry powder (purchase from a Caribbean Store)
1 tomato, chopped
1/2 sweet pepper chopped (Ancho or Bell Pepper)
1/4 teaspoon salt
black pepper
1 1/2 cups water

Peel and devein shrimp if necessary. Heat oil. Add the curry powder and continue to fry for two minutes(this is called cooking the curry and you must do this, it is what gives the curry its unique taste), add Scotch Bonnet at this point if you are going to use them. Then add the tomatoes, sweet peppers, salt, pepper and other seasonings. Add water. Bring to a boil then reduce. Cook for about 15 minutes the liquid will start to thicken. Add shrimp. Turn up the heat and simmer for 10 minutes or until shrimp is cooked.
Best served with white rice and plantains (look back a couple of weeks for this recipe)

5 comments:

  1. I'm still getting used to shrimp...but you know I love curry. I bet I could adapt this with chicken. LOVE.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Chicken is a great sub, just remember to adjust your cooking time. I would suggest sautee the chicken in a HOT (LOL) pan with olive oil and cook about half way then add to sauce. Maybe the next time you come over for dinner I will make this with chicken :-)

    ReplyDelete
  3. This recipe sounds good. I do enjoy my spicy foods but I haven't tried cooking with scotch bonnet peppers yet. I'm going to save this recipe for a day when I'm feeling brave. Thanks!

    ReplyDelete

Hearing from you makes us so happy! Please leave us a kind word.